What is dgft ? | What are the Directorate General of Foreign Trade responsibilities ?Dec 22, 2021
Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT)
The Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) is the agency of the Ministry of commerce and Industry of the Government of India responsible for execution of the import & export Policies of India. It was earlier known as Chief Controller of Imports & Exports (CCI&E) till 1991. It also takes care about rules and regulations of foreign investment in India.
This government body plays a major role in the development of trading relations with other nations and thus helps in improving not only economic growth.
The head office of DGFT is located at New Delhi. To promote international trade DGFT established its regional offices across the country. There are 35 regional authorities across the nation.
DGFT Functions and Responsibilities
Responsible for implementation and upgradation in various policies regarding trade for example, Foreign Trade Policy.
- Issue the licensing authority for exporter and importer
- It can restrict, prohibit and regulate international trade
- DGFT issue 10 digit IEC (Import Export Code)
- DGFT introduces various schemes from time to time regarding trade benefits throughout the country.
- The body is in coordination with state governments and all other departments of commercial bodies of India.
- To grant the permission of free export in Export policy Schedule 2
- Plays important role in controlling DEPB rates
- Any modifications or addition or formation of new codes in ITC-HS Codes are also controlled by DGFT.
- It also deals with quality complaints of the foreign buyers. for that Indian DGFT body is connected with respected commercial bodies of other countries or economic officers like Customs Commission rates, Central Excise Authorities, DRI authorities and Enforcement Directorate.
- Conducting analysis and research on policies.
- To allocate the Tariff Rate Quota.
- Funding export promotion councils, industry and trade associations, agencies of state governments etc. on their various endeavors.
- They also introduced Digital Signature in the year of 2004.
CONTACT Details of DGFT
Directorate General of Foreign Trade (Headquarters), Udyog Bhawan, New Delhi
Web Information Manager:
Directorate General of Foreign Trade (DGFT) Udyog Bhawan, H-wing, Gate No-02, Maulana Azad Road, New Delhi -110011
You may also like to read-
- Best Import Export Business Ideas In 2022
- How to Start Import Export Business in India
- How do I complain to Directorate General of Foreign Trade
- How to Apply for Advance Authorisation (AA) Online
- View IEC Related Details Online
- Address Verification in IEC
- Surrender IEC License
- How to register Digital Signature Certificate
Learn How to Startup and Expand Export Import Business.
Join Export Import Business Startup Master Course Online.